Microsoft Azure is a service that is used to store files, messages, tables and other types of information. Azure storage use multiple tools that help to perform multiple functions. Azcopy upload PST helps to import the data so that migrated mailbox data items can be retrieved easily. These storage tools are used by websites, mobile apps, desktop applications, and many other types of custom solutions.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
In this segment, we will consider Azcopy that helps to upload Outlook PST to Office 365. The command line tool Azcopy moves the data from Microsoft Azure storage to the desired location. The command network upload method uses the Azure and AzCopy tool to migrate the mailboxes to Office 365 that is widely accessible. But first, before we migrate PST mailbox to Office 365 we need to know the features and need for Azcopy tool.
The Need and Features of the Azcopy Tool
The features of AzCopy tool are
- Selective data transfer is possible using the wild cards, prefix etc.
- Concurrent and conditional copying
- To restart the operations uninterrupted.
The need to use AzCopy tool are
- To access SaaS using the internet
- Pay for the service as per the usage only
- To meet requirements for business
- Automatically work with updated versions
- 24*7 service is accessible
- Dependency on hardware decreases
- Decreased chances of data loss
Method to Migrate Mailbox Items using AzCopy Tool
Step 1 – Install Azure AzCopy Tool
- Using the Office 365 credentials of an administrator account, sign in.
- Click on Data management ->Import on the left side of the navigation panel.
- The Import page opens up and you need to again click on the option Import.
- In the Import data into Office 365 tab, click on the + sign and you get a drop-down list.
- Select Upload data over the network option.
- In the Upload files over the network window, click on Show URL to copy the Shared Access Signature (SAS)
- URL and copy the entire SAS URL.
- For the downloading of Azure AzCopy tool-
- To download Azure AzCopy tool, click on Download tool.
- Click Run and Azure AzCopy tool get installed.
- In the Upload files over the network page, click Cancel option after the download is completed.
Step 2 – To Upload PST Files to Microsoft Cloud
This step is to upload and store the PST files on cloud. For this, the PST files need to be located in a file share. This is the source directory and each time the AzCopy tool is run, a different source directory can be specified.
- On the local machine open the command prompt and with the AzCopy command-line utility, transfer the data.
- In the command prompt, go to the installed tool default location %ProgramFiles (x86)%\MicrosoftSDKs\Azure\Azcopy
- For the uploading of the PST files that are to be migrated to Office 365, run the AzCopy.exe command as-
AzCopy.exe /Source: /Dest: /V:
/Source: “Path of PST file”
/Dest: “SAS URL”
/V: Specifies output verbose status messages into a log file. This displays a detailed status message.
- After the execution of the command, the user gets to see a status message displayed of the total number of successful uploaded files to Office 365.
Step 3 – To create the PST Import Mapping File
- A copy of the PST Import mapping file is to be downloaded.
- The CSV file is to be opened and saved to the Notepad or Excel of the local disk.
Step 4 – To Create a PST Import Job
- Go to the website protection.office
- Use the Office 365 credentials of an administrator account to sign in.
- On the left navigation pane, click Data management -> Import.
- On the Import page that opens up, click on Import option.
- Click on + option and in the drop-down list, select Upload data over the network.
- In the Upload files over network page, click on the option ‘I’m done uploading my files’ and on ‘I have access to the mapping file’ boxes. Click ‘Next’.
- Type a name for the PST Import file and click Next
- The user has to click on the + sign and navigate to the location of the CSV file created.
- Click on that CSV file and then click ‘Validate’ to check the file for errors.
- Read the terms and conditions and then click the checkbox
- Click Finish and your PST Import file get submitted.
- The user can click on Import on the left side navigation pane to view the status of the imported data.
Drawbacks of Manual Approach
The use of Azcopy import pst will help to migrate the Outlook PST data but this manual method that is provided above is time-consuming, lengthy and tough for a non-technical person. It is better to keep this process on a side as using a professional way to upload Outlook PST file.
SysTools Office 365 Restore is a great tool which supports bulk migration and also transfers attachments, emails and contacts. It is even endowed with a user-friendly interface that helps the user to understand the process to migrate Outlook PST files to Office 365 cloud. The best part this tool is that it helps to import Outlook PST Files to Office 365 user account with entire data items, not only this it also takes backup of Office 365 data that is very helpful and replace Azcopy import PST process.
This blog discusses the manual method to export mailboxes using Windows Azure storage tool AzCopy and also the professional tool to do this task efficiently and easily, the migration of PST to Office 365 is very helpful and will replace the manual process very easily.