Microsoft Azure is a service that is used to store files, messages, tables and other types of information. Azure storage use multiple tools that help to perform multiple functions. Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool upload PST helps to import the data so that migrated mailbox data items can be retrieved easily. These storage tools are used by websites, mobile apps, desktop applications, and many other types of custom solutions.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
In this segment, we will consider Azure AzCopy that helps to upload PST to Office 365. The Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool moves the data from storage to the desired location. The command network upload method uses the Azure AzCopy tool to migrate Outlook data to Office 365. But, before we migrate Outlook mailbox to Office 365 we need to know the features and need for AzCopy tool.
Need and Features of the Microsoft Azure AzCopy Tool
The features of AzCopy tool are:
- Selective data transfer is possible using the wild cards, prefix etc.
- Concurrent and conditional copying
- To restart the operations uninterrupted.
The need to use AzCopy tool are:
- To access SaaS using the internet
- Pay for the service as per the usage only
- To meet requirements for business
- Automatically work with updated versions
- 24*7 service is accessible
- Dependency on hardware decreases
- Decreased chances of data loss
Method to Upload PST to Office 365 using AzCopy Tool
Step 1 – Install Azure AzCopy Tool
- Using the Office 365 credentials of an administrator account, sign in.
- Click on Data management >>Import on the left side of the navigation panel.
- The Import page opens up and you need to again click on the option Import.
- In the Import data into Office 365 tab, click on the + sign and you get a drop-down list.
- Select Upload data over the network option.
- In the Upload files over the network window, click on Show URL to copy the Shared Access Signature (SAS)
- URL and copy the entire SAS URL.
- For the downloading of Azure AzCopy tool-
- To download Azure AzCopy tool, click on Download tool.
- Click Run and Azure AzCopy tool get installed.
- In the Upload files over the network page, click Cancel option after the download is completed.
Step 2 – To Upload PST File to Office 365 Cloud
This step is to upload and store the PST files in the cloud. For this, the PST files need to be located in a file share. This is the source directory and each time the Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool is run, a different source directory can be specified.
- On the local machine open the command prompt and with the AzCopy command-line utility, transfer the data.
- In the command prompt, go to the installed tool default location %ProgramFiles (x86)%\MicrosoftSDKs\Azure\Azcopy
- For the uploading of the PST files that are to be migrated to Office 365, run the AzCopy.exe command as-
AzCopy.exe /Source: /Dest: /V:
/Source: “Path of PST file”
/Dest: “SAS URL”
/V: Specifies output verbose status messages into a log file. This displays a detailed status message.
- After the execution of the command, the user gets to see a status message displayed of the total number of successful uploaded files to Office 365.
Step 3 – To create the PST Import Mapping File
- A copy of the PST Import mapping file is to be downloaded.
- The CSV file is to be opened and saved to the Notepad or Excel of the local disk.
Step 4 – To Create a PST Import Job
- Go to the website protection.office
- Use the Office 365 credentials of an administrator account to sign in.
- On the left navigation pane, click Data management >> Import.
- On the Import page that opens up, click on Import option.
- Click on the + option and in the drop-down list, select Upload data over the network.
- In the Upload files over network page, click on the option ‘I’m done uploading my files’ and on ‘I have access to the mapping file’ boxes. Click ‘Next’.
- Type a name for the PST Import file and click Next
- The user has to click on the + sign and navigate to the location of the CSV file created.
- Click on that CSV file and then click ‘Validate’ to check the file for errors.
- Read the terms and conditions and then click the checkbox
- Click Finish and your PST Import file get submitted.
- The user can click on Import on the left side navigation pane to view the status of the imported data.
Drawbacks of Manual Approach
The use of Azure AzCopy import PST will help to migrate the Outlook PST data but this manual method that is provided above is time-consuming, lengthy and tough for a non-technical person. It is better to keep this process on a side as using a professional way to upload PST to Office 365 online.
SysTools Office 365 Restore is a great tool which supports bulk migration and also transfers attachments, emails, and contacts. It is even endowed with a user-friendly interface that helps the user to understand the process to migrate Outlook PST file to Office 365 cloud. The best part this tool is that it helps to upload PST to Office 365 user account with entire data items, not only this it also takes backup of Office 365 data that is very helpful and replace AzCopy import PST process.
This blog discusses the manual method to upload PST to Office 365 using Azure AzCopy tool. AzCopy and also the professional tool to do this task efficiently and easily, the migration of PST to Office 365 is very helpful and will replace the manual process very easily.