A user can never eliminate the risk of data loss from the root but, can follow the preventive measures so as to minimize the uncertainty factor. There are inbuilt tools within Office 365 and SharePoint which help a user to protect and secure the data in digital form. If this integral software are not used by any company, it is subjected to loss of confidential and proprietary data. The write-up discusses various tools provided by the Microsoft in Office 365 to facilitates the user with SharePoint Data Governance policies.
Security and Data Governance Using SharePoint and O365
SharePoint is used by many organizations and enterprises for document management. The advantage of using SharePoint is it is equipped with several features that help a user to make SharePoint 2016 governance much easier. It offers many unique features that support even the most complex strategies of data governance. Some of the important features are:
- Permissions: Blueprinting and assigning the permissions in SharePoint is one of the most important steps in any data governance policy. This feature helps to prevent the Cyber attacks whether on major enterprises or on small companies. The risk can be reduced by controlling who can open, modify, save, share, download, export, import, delete, and perform other operations on the different pieces of data. If a file can be accessed by all the users, there is no way that any data can be kept secure and protected. A user needs to follow a strategy and grant file permissions to different users.
- File Sharing: In addition to the permissions, a user can also decide how and what is to be shared in the organization or outside the organization. Some data is pretty confidential and needs to remain inside the company and other is to be shared in a limited amount. Hence, the feature helps to understand exterior sharing alternatives and the tolerable risk involved. It is very important for understanding the SharePoint and OneDrive relation.
- Organized Metadata: The practices for SharePoint 2013 data governance should establish the data systems where files are secured and protected but, easy to find. The sophisticated metadata features of SharePoint makes it a lot easier to find the files according to the types, departments, categories, and other information related to searching for any file. This feature proves to be very helpful in finding the data.
- Retention and Deletion Features: Both of the platforms, SharePoint and Office 365, allows the user to set the retention and deletion policies to go with the internal agreement of the company or with the regulatory standards. This option allows the user to perform several operations. A user can generate a workflow. This will help a user to archive files to different locations after they cross a specified date and is not used there anymore. Also, retention timelines can be set to ensure the data is not deleted and can be used in future. Moreover, the data can be removed and deleted permanently once the retention cycle is almost completed.
- Inactive Mailboxes: When the employees leave the companies, what will happen to their email mailboxes? Their mailboxes are retained for a fixed period of time. It is essential to make use of this inactive mailbox retention feature correctly. It is an important part of data governance using SharePoint.
- Importing Feature: Interconnecting ecosystems of different applications and program is done is a very well manner by Microsoft. The integrity can be achieved easily when it is about transferring data into a single central location. Data governance is simplest to do when everything can be handled and organized with the help of single system. In this way, all the permissions, metadata, retention policies, are applied to all the data instead of handling it separately because the files are stored at the different location. The Microsoft makes it simpler to extract the data from multiple offline and online storage and gather it into a single central repository.
- Security Templates: O365 has security templates which can be enabled so as to scan all the documents for any specific data like social security numbers, credit card number, driving license number, bank account number, etc. Customized security templates are also generated to go through the confidential information of the company.
These features enable the user to make data governance using SharePoint much easier to execute. Not only this but, the security of the files is also enhanced. Many organizations do not feel safe to keep their data in the cloud due to Cybercrime. Sharepoint plays a very important role in any technical geek its import to organize Sharepoint Online data, however, by using SharePoint’s security and organizational features, the benefits of the cloud can be enjoyed without any concern in Sharepoint.