In these days, most of the organizations are tending to migrate from Exchange to Office 365. Because Office 365 is much easier to manage and eliminate the capital cost associated with the running server. But, this migration process is not an easy task. Hence, in this write-up, we are going to discuss both manual and a trouble-free SysTools Exchange to Office 365 Migration solution to convert data from Exchange Server to Office 365.
For Note: There are also some people who need to migrate Exchange 2013 to Office 365. They can read this post.
In order to move Exchange 2010 mailboxes to Office 365 account at once, people generally use the cutover migration process. During this bulk conversion procedure, contacts from global mail as well as distribution groups are converted altogether. But, it is important to make a pre-migration plan to avoid the adverse circumstances before starting the process.
Pre-requisites before Performing Exchange 2010 to Office 365 Migration
In order to initiate the Exchange to Office 365 migration process, users need to make some changes in the Exchange Server environment. This can be done in the Microsoft Office 365 admin center after following the given below path:
“USERS >> Active Users >> Active Directory Synchronization”
Now, you can perform the following steps:
- Configure your Outlook account anywhere on the Exchange Server.
- Ensure that you are using the certificate distributed by a trusted Certification Authority (CA) with Outlook.
- Now, verify the connection to Exchange Server by using the Microsoft Outlook. Set the permissions by using the on-premises user account for migrating Exchange 2010 to Office 365.
- The Admin must possess either FullAccess permission for every individual on-premises mailbox or Receive As permission for on-premises mailbox database.
- Disable the Unified Messaging (UM) for the on-premises mailboxes that you want to migrate.
- After that, create the on-premises active directory security groups.
- Verify the name of the domain for initiating the cutover migration.
- Connect the Office 365 to the email system by creating migration end point, which contains credentials and settings.
- Now, you become ready for moving Exchange 2010 to Office 365. .
How to Migrate Exchange 2010 Mailboxes to Office 365 Manually?
Creating Migration Batch
- In cutover migration process, the mailboxes are converted in the single migration batch. Hence, if you want to convert the Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 in bulk, you need to create cutover migration batch by following these steps:
- At first, go to the Recipients in the Exchange Admin Center & select Migration option.
- Choose New + option & click on the Migrate to Exchange Online.
- From the Select a Migration type page, click on the Cutover Migration >> Next.
- Now, a Confirm the migration endpoint page will appear in front of you. Check the entire information and click on the Next button to proceed further.
- After that, enter the name of migration in the Move Configuration Page then click on the Next button.
- Then, choose an option from when you want to start the batch in the Start the batch page.
- Finally, click on the New button to create the conversion batch.
Start Moving Cutover Migration Batch
- First of all, go to the Recipients option from the Exchange Admin Center and select the Migration option.
- Then, choose the appropriate migration batch & click on the Start button.
- After starting the batch successfully, the status will change to syncing.
- Finally, the convert Exchange mailboxes into Office 365 and status is turned to Synced.
Alternate Way to Migrate Exchange Server 2010 to Office 365
It is a very difficult process to transfer Exchange 2010 mailboxes to Office 365 manually. Because, the above discussed manual method is very lengthy and complex. It also needs expertise in technology to understand the process. Therefore, users are looking for a solution by which they can easily convert the Exchange to Office 365 without any complications and data loss. Hence, the only solution left behind is SysTools Exchange to Office 365 Migration software, which is designed to move Exchange mailbox offline database to Office 365. Apart from this, there are various outstanding features offered by this tool, which helps users to perform simple and easy migration.
In this article, we have discussed how to migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365. There are both manual and automatic ways are discussed. But, the manual method has some limitations. Hence, users are suggested to use the reliable third-party tool. The Exchange to Office 365 Migration tool is the accurate solution to transfer Exchange to Office 365 without any hard efforts or any technical guidance.