AOL to Gmail Migration – Export/ Transfer America Online Mail Folders
Switching from one email account to an another email account is getting a big challenge now and it seems more difficult when one has to migrate to Gmail account from another account. In this article, we will discuss AOL to Gmail migration. A Gmail plug-in can be added into AOL Mail in order to preview the inbox there. If someone wants to switch from AOL mail to Gmail easily with all the messages, contacts and even the folders then they have landed on the right article.
Let’s discuss and make this task a bit easy to copy/ migrate AOL folders to Gmail e-mail account. One can easily migrate the address book also.
User Queries on Import/ Move AOL Mail to Gmail
The following are the questions asked by the America Online users regarding AOL to Gmail migration. Let’s explore the user concerns in the section below.
“We are planning to bulk transfer AOL email account to Gmail accounts. Please suggest us the ways to perform this task manually or using any tool.”
“I am working in an MNC which is has been using AOL for years. We wish to discontinue using it. Any suggestions on how to transfer AOL email folders to Gmail?”
“I have been using America Online mailing service since 2009. I find Google Mail more promising & hassle-free as compared to AOL. Please tell me how to switch from AOL to Gmail easily in less time without much labor!!”
Note: Get amazing AOL Mail Backup Tool to Archive AOL Mails to PST/ MBOX/ EML/ MSG file format. Download the trail version of AOL Backup and save AOL emails to hard drive easily.
Why Go for AOL to Gmail Migration?
- Lots and lots of advertisements which interrupt the work.
- Customer service is not as good as that of Gmail.
- The user interface is very crowded, there are too many buttons and other junk options on the screen.
- The users have sued America Online many times because of their improper billing system.
How to Switch from AOL to Gmail Easily?
There are some manual ways to transfer AOL mail to Gmail account. The methods are as follows:
1. Mail Fetcher
Mail Fetcher is a free feature that to download email messages from five different email accounts having POP access.
You can set this feature by using following steps:
- Set up Mail Fetcher in Gmail account.
- Click on the gear icon and select Settings.
- Go to Accounts and Import tab.
- Go to the option Check mail using POP3 section and click on Add POP3 Email Account.
- Enter the email address of the account to access and click on the Next Step.
- Gmail will check with AOL server the correct server name and port.
- Enter password.
- Check or uncheck some more settings:
→ Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server
→ Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
→ Label incoming messages
→ Archive incoming messages
- Click on Add Account.
- When the account is added successfully, there will be an option of setting it as a custom From address. It allows to compose messages in Gmail, but have them appear to be sent from your other email account.
2. Import Option in Gmail
You can export AOL to Gmail by following the steps given below.
Step 1: Login to your Gmail account
Step 2: Click on the Settings icon on the top right-most side of the Gmail interface and then select Settings.
Step 3: Choose on “Accounts and Import“, and select “Import mail and contacts“.
Step 4: Enter your AOL email address and then hit on Continue.
Step 5: Type the password for your AOL email account and again hit on Continue.
Step 6: Check or uncheck the options for “Import mail“, “Import new mail for next 30 days“, and “Import contacts” as per your preferences.
Step 7: If you want, you can create a label for your emails by checking on Add label.
- Only emails will be labeled, not the contacts. The emails imported will automatically get labeled with the same folder name from which they have been derived. Whereas the emails Recently Deleted, Drafts and Spam Folder cannot be transferred.
Note: The AOL to Gmail migration using the above method can take hours to be successfully complete.
3. Auto Forward Email to Gmail from AOL
- Log in to AOL mail. Set the option automatic forwarding process to the Gmail account and that will automatically redirect all AOL emails to your Gmail.
- Go to the Settings and select settings again.
- Click on Accounts and Import tab.
- Choose the option to add a POP3 mail account which is located next to the Check mail using POP3 section.
- Enter an AOL address in the Email address box and click Next.
- Type the AOL username and password. You can also apply a label to all email messages from an AOL address.
- Now, Click on Add Account.
- Choose the option if you want to reply with the AOL address from the Gmail account itself and click Next.
- Click on Send Verification.
- Go to AOL Inbox and open the email from Google.
- Now, copy the verification code from the email and paste it into the verification code box.
- Click on Verify.
4. Manually Forward Emails
You can manually forward email to Gmail from AOL by sending each of your important emails from AOL account to your Google Mail account. But this might take a lot of your time. So, you can try any third party tool that can take backup of AOL account & then you can import the backup file to Gmail.
After getting to know about AOL and Gmail services, at last, it can be concluded that it is preferable to transfer AOL mail to Gmail account. The AOL to Gmail migration can be done using various methods which are discussed above.