Connect GoDaddy Domain to G Suite Via A Guided Tutorial
Choosing the proper domain setup is vital for any business. Therefore, many pick GoDaddy as the platform to buy and register a unique domain. Although, companies can manage a domain on their own they still require a dedicated email manager linked to their domain. A lot of them choose to connect GoDaddy domain to G Suite to take full advantage of Google’s ecosystem.
Nevertheless, this domain linking is easier said than done. Furthermore, it is a multi-step process that requires in-depth technical knowledge to avoid any mistakes. So, with this tutorial, we aim to resolve all user queries and give them the complete tutorial to add and use their GoDaddy domain within a G Suite setup.
Before we delve into the detailed procedure let’s get a birds-eye view of the techniques for an error-free domain addition.
Ways to Add GoDaddy Domain In G Suite
Two basic situations exist while linking a domain. The first is that a domain is brand new with no user data. It is quite simple when compared to the second method where an already existing domain contains data from multiple users. Without further ado let’s discuss them one by one.
New Domain Case: It is only viable for domains not previously associated with any other email service provider. Here we directly set up the MX records to verify ownership of the domain. The system will preemptively inform the user whether their domain is eligible for this method or not.
Domain with Webmail Accounts: To link a GoDaddy domain to G Suite that has some user data, additional steps beyond the DNS updation are required. This can be done by adding a TXT record, A record, or CNAME record. Therefore, it is up to the user to best understand their particular case before deciding upon a method.
Read More: How to Add a Room Resource in Office 365 in A Few Steps
It’s time to start with the steps for adding an MX record directly.
First Method- Using MX record to Connect GoDaddy Domain to G Suite
Domain verification can be either done manually or in a semi-automated way within the Admin Center. As time is the most critical resource we are explaining the faster way to link the GoDaddy domain to G Suite first. Be sure to have users, permissions, and other settings licenses preconfigured.
- Log in to the Google Cloud Console (Ensure that you have valid authorization and permissions).
- You will find the Network Services tab by clicking and expanding the 3 bars.
- Hovering over the tab allows you to see the Cloud DNS option present there.
- The DNS Name gives the option to either leave the default value or add a custom @.
- Then, pick MX from the dropdown menu of Resource Record Type.
- In the Time To Live section type in 3600 and Select the TTL Unit as Seconds.
- Then, input “1 smtp.google.com.” in the Preference and mail server area.
- Finally, click the Create button to finish the process.
If MX records don’t appear within 72 hours contact your domain registrar directly.
Second Method- TXT Record Verification For Domain Linking
This is an alternate way to connect a domain to a new location.
- Login to the domain registrar(GoDaddy) website with the account handling the domain you are about to register.
- Look for the domain you’re going to add and hit the 3 vertical dots beside it to open more and then pick the Manage DNS option.
- Hit the Add button located on top of the DNS Records table.
- In the form, Select type as TXT, Name as @, and paste the Verification code in the Value section, also keep TTL at the Default position.
- Now all that’s left to do on this page is to click Add record button.
- Revisit the page from where you originally copied the Verification code, scroll down and press Protect domain.
- After a while, Google verifies the procedure indicating that a task to connect GoDaddy Domain to G Suite
Procedure to Use in Case of Domain with Webmail Accounts
A domain that is already in use adds extra complexity in the form of first setting up a shell for User accounts in which data can reside. Then perform the domain migration. And, finally do the MX change as well. As all this takes up time in which extra data is generated. Therefore, admins must also do a cleanup delta migration to transfer all the newly arrived data.
Here is the list of steps to add users before we connect GoDaddy domain to G Suite:
Step-1. Go to Google Admin Console and log in with the admin credentials.
Step-2. In the Menu click on 3 bars, visit the Directory., then click on Users.
Step-3. Find and press the Invite new user/Add new user section at the top of the page.
Step-4. Complete the form to either send a request to the user to join themselves, or type in their account information yourself.
Step-5. For every user you want to add, follow these exact steps again.
Additional Info: Simple Ways to Open Another Mailbox in Outlook Effectively
Once users are successfully added it’s time to map the domain. Just replicate the steps discussed in the above sections first to verify the domain via TXT then MX rerouting. If users want to avoid the complicated method we have a better solution.
Automated Means to Connect GoDaddy Domain to G Suite
Even experienced admins would admit that linking a domain with user data is a tough task. Therefore, users must try the best solution available in the market which is none other than the SysTools IMAP to GSuite Migrator. It is without any doubt a data migration master with an inbuilt delta migration facility along with detailed report generation of the entire process.
The steps to use the advanced utility are as follows:
Step-1. Download Install and Launch the tool, then Select IMAP as Source and G Suite as Destination.
Step-2. Scroll down to put a checkmark next to the email option and apply a date filter if required.
Step-3. On the source page, select the Other option and type in the Server URL and Port Number then validate.
Step-4. On the destination page, Enter the Admin email, type the service account, and attach the certificate file, then validate.
Step-5. Add users either upload a preexisting file or download the template and make changes before uploading it.
Step-6. Enter and validate the Source app password for user verification then click on Start Migration.
Post Connection Steps To be Performed
Our work here is not yet complete. As our MX record still points towards the original position we need to reroute it. Here are the steps to do so:
- Log in to your GoDaddy account.
- Access DNS management.
- Note your existing MX records.
- Delete old MX records.
- Add new MX records from G Suite.
- Set priority values (lower is higher priority).
- Save changes.
- Allow time for DNS changes to propagate.
- Test email services.
After this, we perform a delta migration that brings all the data that was either sent or received during the migration process. As the manual domain transfer has no such feature you would have to drag and drop mails manually to the new location.
However, those who choose to use the tool can simply perform the task automatically with the press of a button.
Now we know why switching between email platforms is difficult. This is especially true when we wish to connect GoDaddy domain to G Suite. Therefore, to minimize workflow interruptions this guide discussed a variety of manual solutions suitable for a user-to-user basis.
Moreover, to avoid the hassle of dealing with the manual methods, instructions to use a sure shot automated tool are also provided. The smart choice would be to use the automated utility and perform an error-free domain transition.