Use Office 365 Import Service to Migrate PST Files Into Office 365 Accounts
Are you looking for the complete working of Microsoft Office 365 import service to migrate PST file data into an Office 365 account? If yes, then, you are at the right place, we come up with different ways to use import service in Office 365.
Microsoft Office 365 is one of the most widely used messaging and emailing platforms by end users. Sometimes users want to maintain a local copy of the MS Office mailbox on their system as all data is saved in the cloud. Furthermore, saving Office 365 mailbox data on a local machine can also help the user in overcoming hazardous situations. At the time of importing PST files back into Office 365, users search for Office 365 import service which is the general and popular method.
Therefore, in this blog, we are going to discuss a step-by-step guide for the implementation of Import service in MS Office 365 also known as Network upload and Drive Shipping. The best alternative for import service for a quick and easy process for PST to Office 365 migration.
Is Office 365 Import Service the Only Way to Migrate PST Files Into an Office 365 Account?
No, there are various different ways that you can use to perform this task. In the coming section, we are going to discuss the two manual ways and an automated solution for this operation.
Approach 1 – Import PST File to Office 365 Using Network Upload
Follow the steps below to upload the PST file in Office 365 Outlook:
Step 1- Copy the SAS URL & install Azure AzCopy
SAS URL is considered as a network URL for the storage path of Azure in Microsoft Cloud and SAS is known as a Shared Access Signature key. This key provides all of the permissions, which are required to upload and copy Outlook .pst files to the storage location of Azure.
Note: User should use Azure Azcopy version 5.0 to transfer PST file to Azure location successfully. Keep in mind that you must download the Azure AzCopy software to use Office 365 import service to migrate pst-files from, “Upload files over the network” to the page by the given below procedure:
- First of all, go to this https://protection.office.com URL address
- Then, you have to log in to Office 365 by entering all the credentials of an administrator account
- In the left-hand menu bar, click on Data Governance and then, choose the Import option
- Under the Import page, select Go to the Import Service option to import PST to Office 365
- Now, you can import data to Office 365 on this page, you have to click on the New Import job and choose Upload Email Messages (PST files)
- When you click on the Upload files over a network, the following page will be shown
- Now, in Prerequisite Step 2 of the above screenshot, hit on Show network upload SAS URL option
- After clicking on that, copy/ move the URL address, that appeared, and save it to a particular file
- Similarly, in Prerequisite Step 3, you must click on the Download tool option for downloading and installing the Azure AzCopy
- On the pop-up window, go to the Run button
- To exit or leave from Upload files over the network page, press the Cancel button
Step 2- Import Multiple PST Files into Office 365
Now to import PST files into Office 365 accounts, you can follow the below steps of the Office 365 import service by using the AzCopy.exe tool:
- On your computer, open the Command Prompt
- Then, navigate to the directory where AzCopy.exe is the tool installed
- By default, the software is installed on the given path: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\AzCopy
- Next, run this command to upload PST files to Office 365. AzCopy.exe /Source: (Location of PST files) /Dest: (SAS URL) /V: (Log file location)
Step 3- View a list of PST files Uploaded to the MS Office 365 Account
This step is optional in which you have the Office 365 import service to migrate pst-files; to view the complete list of Outlook data files (.pst) you can install the Azure Storage Explorer. It is inbuilt software. Moreover, there are two reasons for doing this:
- Check the loading of PST files to Azure successfully.
- Confirm the name of a specific file for each PST, which is uploaded to the Azure blob. This will help when you have created the PST mapping file because you must define both the filename and folder pathname for each Outlook PST file.
Step 4- Create PST Import Mapping File
Once the PST file is uploaded to the Azure storage location, in the upcoming step you have to create a CSV (comma-separated value) file, which signifies the user’s mailboxes where Outlook PST files will be imported.
- First of all, you need to download a copy of the PST Import mapping file.
- After that, open or store a .csv file on your desktop.
Step 5- Make PST Import job in Office 365 Exchange
To create a PST import job in an Office 365 account, you must follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://protection.office.com.
- Then, sign in MS Office 365 account with the help of all the credentials for an administrator account in Office 365 Online organization.
- Choose the option Data Governance and then, press Import
- A new page of Import will be displayed, choose an option Go to the Import service
- On the other page of Import PST to Office 365, select the New job i.e. on + sign, and choose Upload PST emails from the given options
- From the Upload files over the network page, choose I am done uploading my files and on the check boxes I have access to the mapping file, followed by a click on the Next button
- Proceed to the next step, type in PST import job, and press Next.
- Now for adding PST file Mapping, you have to click on the Add button.
- Choose the name of the CSV file that shows up in the list, and click on the Validate option to check for errors for the CSV file.
- Once the validation of PST file mapping is done, read the terms as well as conditions, and the checkbox is enabled.
- Eventually, click on the Finish button to submit the job.
- On the page Import PST to Office 365 Online, the job appears in the list of PST File Import.
- Select the job and click on the Refresh button to update the status information.
- Finally, click on View details to get the new status for the selected job.
Limitations Of Network Upload Method
After understanding the above steps, you may have understood that using this method is not an easy task. Performing Network upload requires good experience in the working of Office 365 Admin Center and PowerShell commands. A small mistake can lead to corruption of PST files.
Approach 2 – Migrate the PST File to Office 365 Using Drive Shipping
For all those organizations who were facing difficulty in understanding the Network upload method, Microsoft the another method in Office 365 import service, which is Drive Shipping. In this method, the organization/user needs to perform a few steps starting by creating a CSV file with the PST file name and storing it in a hard drive along with PST files. Then, a ship drives to a nearby Microsoft data center. To perform the complete migration of Outlook PST file to Office 365 using drive shipping, follow the below-described steps:
- You have to copy the PST files to a BitLocker-encrypted hard disk.
- Next, ship the hard drive to Microsoft physically.
- After receiving the hard disk from Microsoft, the data personnel can upload the collected Outlook PST files to the desired place, which is not permanent in Microsoft cloud storage.
- In the last of Office 365 import service to migrate pst-files, you can use Microsoft Office 365 import service and migrate PST files to Office 365 mailbox.
Approach 3 – Migrate PST to Office 365 via a Professional Tool
If the above-stated methods fail, users can take the help of an automated solution i.e., SysTools Office365 Import Tool. It is designed in such a way that it can import PST to Office 365 accounts in bulk without duplicates. Even the Office 365 import service to migrate pst-files fails to work in such a way. It is capable enough to perform data migration in just a few clicks. It has a simple and user-friendly interface that even a novice user can use without having any extra knowledge. Moreover, it also imports PST to shared mailboxes.
Best Alternative to Office 365 Import Service
- Step 1. Download, install, and launch the software on your PC.
- Step 2. Choose Outlook and Office 365 as respective platforms.
- Step 3. Enable the desired workload to import and set a date filter.
- Step 4. Select the PST files folder, log in with Office 365, and validate.
- Step 5. Choose user accounts and click on the start import button.
After considering the need to migrate PST files into an Office 365 mailbox and using the Microsoft Office 365 import service to upload PST files in the above section, we have explained two manual solutions. Along with this, we have highly recommended a commercial tool i.e., Office 365 Import by which users can import multiple PST files to Office 365. Users can choose any of these approaches at their convenience.