Migrate Google Apps to Office 365 – Complete Stepwise Guide
In today’s arena, when we consider the best online business Suites, Office 365, and Google Apps (G Suite) is one of them. Both are the leading cloud-based application and provide a number of alluring facilities, such as online file storage, video conferencing, collaboration, etc. Most organizations these days are rushing to migrate Google Apps to Office 365. Let’s explore the various reasons why this is happening
Even though Office 365 is slightly costlier than G Suite the reliability and powerful security service of Office 365 make it cost-efficient. Because of this, it can be seen that many mid-sized businesses are migrating from Google Apps to Office 365 accounts. Hence, the objective of this blog post is to provide an appropriate and trustworthy method on how to migrate email from Google Apps to Office 365. Let’s get started!
Table of content
Best Approaches to Migrate Google Apps to Office 365
When G Suite users require to move their data to Office 365 mailboxes, then there are a number of manual workarounds available for this. After considering all manual techniques, we conclude that most of them are complex and require lots of time and work put into them to complete the task.
However, one manual method known as IMAP Migration to Office 365 is much more convenient than other traditional techniques. Although, one limitation associated with this solution is that it only migrate Gmail email to Office 365 account. Now, go through this method to move Google Apps data to O365.
Also Read: How to Migrate Office 365 to G Suite?
Google Apps to Office 365 Migration Manually
IMAP migration can be done in two ways, i.e. Using PowerShell and using Exchange Admin Center. Here, we are discussing the EAC method to migrate Google Apps email data to Office 365. One needs to follow the below-described steps sequentially to use this method.
Step #1: Make a list of Mailboxes
In this section, you need to generate a file that consists of the name of Gmail mailboxes that are going to be migrated to Office 365. To do this, follow the below instructions:
Tip: The maximum size of the created file should be 10 MB only.
If the access for EWS (External Exchange Service) is not enabled in the environment, there are 93% chance for the error to occur.
1. If you have administrator account credentials, then log in to the Google admin console.
2. Once you opened the account, then go to the Users option.
3. Here, you will clearly see a list of users along with the last signed time they signed in.
4. Next step is to select each and every user and note down the email address.
5. Once you have done with the above step, then log in to Office 365 admin center.
6. After that, click on Users and then select Active Users. Go through the User Name column because you need this information later.
7. Do not close Office 365 admin center window.
8. Next, using Excel create a CSV file with the same template as given below.
9. You need to fill following details in each column that are mentioned below:
- Email Address Column- Type the email ID of the Office 365 mailbox.
- UserName Column- You need to mention the login name for the user’s Google Apps mailbox.
- Password Column- Write the password associated with the user’s Gmail mailbox.
Step #2: Add Gmail to MS Office 365 Account
To perform step-by-step data migration from Google apps to Office 365 there is a requirement to establish a connection between Office 365 and G Suite. For this, you have to perform the following instructions:
1. Navigate to EAC or Exchange Admin Center.
2. Now, click on Recipients >> Migration option.
3. Click on the ‘…’ option and select Migration endpoints.
4. After that, go to the + icon in order to make a new migration endpoint.
5. From the following page, select the IMAP option.
6. A new page will appear on the screen named IMAP migration configuration. Here, you need to change the IMAP server setting to imap.gmail.com. Also, make sure that the default setting remains the same.
7. Click on Next to establish a connection between Office 365 and Gmail. If the connection is verified correctly, then Enter general information page will display on the screen.
8. Now, you need to write a Migration endpoint name, for example, xyz-endpoint. Also, blank the two below boxes and click on ‘new’ to make a new migration endpoint.
Step #3: Generate Migration Batch
Users can create a migration batch to import the number of Google Apps mailboxes to Office 365 in one go. To do this, go through the below instructions to migrate Google Apps to Office 365:
1. Open Admin centers and select Exchange from the menu.
2. You need to navigate to Recipients >> Migration option.
3. After that, click on ‘+’ icon and select Migrate to Exchange Online option from the list.
4. Now, select IMAP migration and click on Next to proceed with the process.
5. On the next page, navigate to Browse and select the migration file. Thereafter, Office 365 will check the file such as file type must be CSV, rows should not be more than 50,000, etc. If any of the parameters fails, it will display an error.
6. Once the O365 verifies the migration file, the number of Gmail mailboxes that going to be migrated is displayed on the screen. Click on Next.
7. Under the Set the migration endpoint heading, choose the migration endpoint that was created in the previous step.
8. From the IMAP migration configuration page, select the default values.
9. Click on Next for further process.
10. Provide a name for the migration batch under the New Migration batch name heading. Also, if want to exclude any folders then you can do it by entering their name in Exclude Folder box.
11. After that, select the Next button.
12. Perform the following steps on the Start the Batch page.
- Click on Browse to send migration report files to the rest of the users. Under the Properties section, a user can also view the report file.
- Select Automatically Start the batch option and click on New to start the process.
13. Finally when all the steps are done, Now you can begin the migration process of Google Apps to Office 365.
How to Migrate Google Apps To Office 365 like Contacts and Calendars?
It is evident from above that the manual method only migrates Gmail to Office 365. The next question that comes into the user’s consideration is how to move Google Apps like calendars or contacts. Luckily, we have a solution for this.
Try Proven Software to Migrate Google Apps to Office 365
The SysTools G Suite to Office 365 Migration tool is one of the best tools to transfer data between Google Apps to Office ls. It is a data migration software used to transfer email, contacts, calendars, documents, and other data from Google Apps to MS Office 365 account. Apart from this, it provides the option to Filter data to facilitate selective Google Apps to Office 365 migration in a seamless manner. If the users are looking for a solution that migrates all mailbox data of Google Apps to Office 365 in a few clicks, then this tool is a perfect choice.
Steps to Migrate Data from Google Apps to Office 365
Follow these simple steps to transfer Google Apps data to O365:
1- Launch and run the software on Windows OS.
2- Choose the “Category” and apply “Date Filter” for selective migration.
3- After that, enter the required information and authenticate the Google Apps (G Suite) Admin account in the source section.
4- Enter the information about Office 365 and validate the permissions from the destination tab.
5- Fetch the users with the given options to map Source and Destination users
6- Click the Start button to begin the migration process
Also Read: How to Download Google Apps Email to Outlook?
Today, people are moving from one email program to another application for better email service. Among all, the migration of data from Google Apps to Exchange Online is very much popular. Therefore, in this article, we have discussed how to migrate Google Apps to Office 365. Due to the high complicity and the limitations of using the manual method, we have suggested the above-mentioned automatic professional software that moves calendars, and contacts alongside emails from G Apps to O365 in a matter of minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Which solution is the best to migrate Google Apps to Office 365?
A. If you are not a technical user then you must go for the automated solution as the above software is safe and secure and will solve your problem in quick steps.
Q. Why migrate from Google Apps to Office 365?
A. Users go with Microsoft Office 365 because Office 365 offers the users a better set of features, more value for money and fulfills organization requirements as compared to Google Apps.