How to Save Emails from Outlook Web App to Computer? Best Guide to Follow
In this tutorial, we will show you how to easily save emails from Outlook Web App to your desktop for safekeeping or offline access. Whether you need to keep a copy of important correspondence or simply want to have a backup of your emails, this guide will walk you through the simple process step-by-step. With just a few clicks, you’ll be able to download and save your emails to your computer in no time.
5 Quick Steps to Save Emails from Outlook Web App Locally
- Step 1. Download, install, and open it on your PC.
- Step 2. Choose Office 365 and Outlook platforms.
- Step 3. Enable mailbox categories to download locally.
- Step 4. Login with Office 365 admin credentials.
- Step 5. Set the destination location and click on start.
What Could Be the Reasons to Save Emails from Outlook Web App Locally?
There might be certain reasons for a user wanting to download Outlook Web App emails. Usually, if a user is migrating to some other platform from OWA they need to export the O365 data and then import it to another platform. Users might simply need a backup of all their data to overcome situations of accidental data loss and cyber attacks, hacking, and virus infections. Apart from this, there are several reasons why someone might want to save emails from Outlook Web App to a computer, including:
- Archiving – It allows for easy archiving and retrieval of important information, such as business records or personal correspondence.
- Backup – It provides a backup of important information in case the original emails are lost or deleted from the Outlook Web App account.
- Compliance – Some industries have regulations requiring companies to keep records of email communications for a certain period. Saving emails to a computer can help ensure compliance with these regulations.
- Accessibility – Allows for easy access to important information even when an internet connection is not available.
- Long-term storage – Saving emails to a computer can provide a way to store emails for a longer period of time, ensuring that the information remains accessible even after the email account is closed or deleted.
- Sharing with others – Saving emails to a computer can provide a way to share emails with others, who may not have access to the email account.
Methods on How to Save Emails from Outlook Web App to Computer
Here are the best methods to answer the query i.e. “How to download emails from Outlook web app?”. Now, the manual method is ideal when you have sound technical skills and the data to be exported is not huge.
Best solution: SysTools OWA Backup Tool fits best when you have huge data to export from a free Outlook Online account. The software performs all the export procedures by itself and you get the downloaded data within a few clicks. It simply downloads every bit of email data from the free Outlook online account and no data is lost in this transmission.
However, if you want to save emails from Outlook 365 (Microsoft 365 Outlook), then you can use the below-mentioned software solution. Use this efficient option or process the below methods to download your data from Outlook Web Access. Let’s begin!
Manual Method on How to Download All Emails from Outlook Web App to Hard Disk
The manual method consists of two steps, let’s discuss each step one by one. Follow the below-mentioned steps as they are, to avoid any chances of data loss or corruption.
Step #1 Configure Outlook Web App Account into Outlook
- Open your Microsoft Outlook >> go to File menu >> choose Add Account.
- Choose the Manual Setup/ Additional Server Types option and tap on Next.
- Customize the services as desired >> click on the Next button.
- Select either IMAP or POP protocol >> enter the required details in the user information section >> hit on More Settings.
- You will see the Internet Email Settings wizard prompting on the screen.
- Choose the Outgoing Server option >> click on My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication >> Advanced and fill in the required information.
- Next, on the server, you can leave or remove (after 14 days) a copy of emails >> hit OK >> Next button to download emails from Outlook Web App.
Important Note: Meanwhile, if you configure the incoming server as POP, you might get some error while configuring the emails in between the procedure to save emails from Outlook Web App to computer.
Reasons for Errors Showing Up Might be the Following:
Check if the POP configuration is enabled in your OWA account. Follow these steps to fix it:
- Log in to your OWA account >> hit on App Launcher or go to Outlook/ Mail in the navigation bar >> choose Outlook
- Click on Settings option in navigation bar >> hit on Options >> select Account >> My Account >> click on Next
- Exit the window
- Now, hit on Finish to execute the configuration. Now you can download Outlook Web App emails to PST and save them to your desktop.
Step #2 Download & Save Email from Outlook Web App
- Step 1. Open the Outlook desktop application with the Outlook Web App account.
- Step 2. Go to the File option then click on Import & Export option.
- Step 3. Now, navigate to the Export to a file option.
- Step 4. Select the Outlook Data File option.
- Step 5. Click on Next to save emails from Outlook web app to hard drive.
Limitations of Manual Method to Download Emails from Outlook Web App to Computer
Manual methods to save emails from Outlook Web App to a computer have several limitations, including:
- Time-consuming – Manually saving each email one by one can be a time-consuming process, especially if you have a large number of emails to save.
- Error-prone – Manual methods are prone to human error, as they require the technical expertise of Office 365 and the Exchange admin center.
- Limited capabilities – Manual methods do not offer advanced features such as filtering emails by specific criteria or saving attachments automatically.
- Inefficient – Manually saving emails can be inefficient and tedious, especially if you need to save emails regularly or in bulk.
- Limited options for file formats – Manual methods typically only allow you to save emails as .eml or .msg files, which may not be compatible with other email programs or devices.
- No automatic backup – The manual method doesn’t provide an automatic backup for the emails saved.
#2 OWA Backup Utility to Automatically Save Emails from Outlook to Desktop
Here comes the automated utility SysTools O365 Email Backup & Restore to download Outlook 365 emails to hard drive quickly. The software helps to export Office 365 mailboxes into PST file format. It can quickly export huge data from Outlook 365 mailbox and provides advanced options like Date Filter, Stop and Start Backup option, etc.
Other than this, the main attraction of the software is the Concurrent Backup feature that allows users to save emails from multiple Outlook 365 accounts concurrently. Not just that, the tool also helps to import PST files into Office 365 mailbox without any hassle.
Software Steps to Download Emails from Outlook 365 to Computer
Follow the step-by-step working of the tool as explained below:
Step 1. Download this tool on your system & select Office 365 as the Source platform.
Step 2. Select Categories that you want to backup from Office 365 mailbox locally.
Step 3. You can also apply a date filter to save emails within a specified date range.
Step 4. Now you need to enter and validate your Microsoft 365 Admin Email and Application ID.
Step 5. After this, select the destination path where you want to download PST file from Office 365 online.
Step 6. From the list of Outlook 365 mailboxes, select the mailboxes from which you want to save emails from Outlook 365 to computer hard drive. Then, click on the Start Backup button to.
Saving emails from Outlook Web App to a computer can be done through manual methods, such as forwarding emails or using the “Save As” option. However, these methods have several limitations, including being time-consuming, error-prone, and lacking advanced features.
Hence, a better alternative to manual methods is to use professional software that can save emails in bulk, automatically filter emails by specific criteria, and save attachments. This method is much more efficient, and it provides advanced features and options for file formats, automatic backup, and many more.
Frequently Asked Queries
A. You can try the trial version of the software without buying it and try all the features for free. Moreover, you can download emails from Outlook Web App for two user accounts for free.
A. Yes, you can trust this tool as it is recommended by many experts to save emails from Outlook Web App to the computer.