How to Import EML to Outlook 365? Everything You Need to Know
Summary: In this article, you will find the complete process to import EML to Outlook 365. Multiple reasons will be discussed why you should import the EML files to Outlook 365. Distinct solutions are explained to perform the process without any obstacles.
An EML file is used to store the emails. The EML file contains a single email with multiple components such as sender, recipient, subject, and content. This file format is supported by several email clients such as Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple, and others.
It is used as a local storage. You can share that file with others easily. It can be opened in the browser easily by changing its extension from .eml to .mht but without formatting. Outlook 365 is full-fledged with different functionalities other than emails. In several situations, there is a requirement to import EML files to Outlook 365. Let’s explore some of the noteworthy reasons behind it.
Table Of Content
- Why Import EML to Outlook Web?
- How to Import EML to Outlook 365?
- Manual Method to Import EML to Outlook Web
- Professionally Import EML to Outlook 365
Why Import EML to Outlook Web?
As Outlook 365 is an efficient email client. So that it becomes the first choice to import EML files. Here are the major reasons that motivate you to import EML to Outlook 365.
- You can convert all the EML files into an Outlook local file by using Outlook 365.
- Outlook 365 provides better privacy and security for the data. So, moving to the Outlook 365 is a better choice.
- After a while, when you have a large database of EML files, there might be the possibility that your files get corrupted. But if you import EML to Office 365, then all files will be safe from corruption.
- Accessing the EML files is a tough task, Outlook 365 can help you to access the emails easily.
How to Import EML to Outlook 365?
After analyzing the importance of Outlook 365 as an email client. It’s time to discuss the solution to the respective query. Basically, importing EML files into Outlook 365 can be done by manual and Professional methods. You will get to know about each one sequentially. So that, you can find a better approach for you and your query of how to import EML files into Outlook 365 would be solved. Let’s Explore the manual method first.
Manual Method to Import EML to Outlook Web
As such there is no manual method to import EML to Outlook web. You can go with two methods, one is to convert EML to Outlook Local File (PST) and the second is to move the Outlook Local File to Outlook 365. Let’s explore the first method.
Method 1 . Convert EML to Outlook Local File
- Open the Windows Live Mail and the Windows Explorer.
- Open the folder of EML in the Windows Explorer.
- Keep both of the windows open.
- Now, you have to do some drag-and-drop operations. Drag all the files from Windows Explorer and drop them into the Windows Live Mail.
- Now, in the Windows Live Mail go to the File select Export, and click on Emails Messages.
- Choose Microsoft Outlook and finally click OK.
- Now, in Microsoft Outlook, click on the Selected Folders button to select the EML files.
- Finally, click on OK and Finish for the migration process.
Method 2. Move Outlook Local File to Outlook 365
To import EML to Outlook Web is not possible manually so, you need to upload the Outlook local file to Outlook 365. To do so you can go with the Network Upload method and Drive Shipping method also.
a). Network Upload to Move Outlook Local Files to Outlook 365
There is an inbuilt method in Outlook 365 , to import Outlook local files to Outlook 365. Use these steps.
- Go to the Compliance.microsoft.com.
- Move to the Data Lifecycle Management > Microsoft 365 > Import.
- Now, Open the Import tab and click on + New import job.
- Choose the option of Upload your data from the wizard.
- Now copy the SAS URL for further processing and Install the Azure AzCopy tool on your system.
- Run the command prompt on the local system and run this command.
azcopy.exe copy “<Source location of Outlook local files>” “<SAS URL>”
- You can verify all of the uploaded files using the Azure Storage Explorer.
- Now, create a CSV file, to specify the destination location of the mailboxes.
- Now, in the Import Data wizard, select the options “ I’m done uploading my files” and “I have access to the mapping file”.
- Upload the created CSV file of the mailboxes by clicking on + and Selecting mapping file and Validate it.
- Now click on Save and Close.
- Now, Microsoft analyzes all the data and provides you the age of the data. So that you can filter the data easily.
- At last, Click Import data and the status becomes visible on the Import Outlook local files page.
Limitation of Network upload
- This is a time-consuming process. That’s why not preferred for the large data set.
- It has complex steps due to which administrators are also avoiding it.
- There should be a proper internet bandwidth during the process. Data may be lost or corrupted while facing any connectivity issue.
- Importing multiple accounts using these methods is not an efficient approach, it can cause confusion for importing the data.
- It is only limited to certain countries.
- Not able to import Outlook local files, which is greater than 2 GB.
b). Drive Shipping to Move Outlook Local Files to Outlook Web
- Firstly, prepare the Outlook local file with the appropriate names and maintain the hierarchy.
- Copy the Outlook local file that you want to import to the hard drive. Make sure that the file does not contain any virus.
- Microsoft preferred BitLocker to encrypt the data for better authenticity.
- Raise a drive shipping request to Microsoft. Go to the Microsoft 365 admin center and then Import services >> Data Migration and create a drive shipping request.
- Now wrap up the hard drive and the required documents properly. Then, finalize the suitable shipping service to send the hard drive to the allotted Microsoft data center.
- Keep an eye on the shipping progress. After reaching the hard drive to the destination Microsoft data center. The process of importing starts as per the queue.
- You will get a notification when the import process gets complete.
- Finally, you can verify your data by opening Outlook 365.
Limitations of Drive Shipping
- This process is very time-consuming. Shipping of the data to the allotted data center takes a lot of time. There may be a queue for importing the Outlook local files in the data center. Due to which your tasks would be done at last.
- During the shipping of data, it can be lost or damaged before reaching the data center.
- It is expensive because Microsoft charges 2$ per GB for the process of importing.
- You cannot opt for this approach for the multiple import process.
Professionally Import EML to Outlook 365
After discussing the manual methods and their limitations, it’s time to discuss the professional solution. That is recommended by the experts to import EML to Outlook web. This approach uses the EML to Office 365 Importer. To use this tool, you do not need to be good at technical terms, it is very easy to use because of its simpler user interface. It has several advanced features.
Import EML to Outlook Web with the Help of Advanced Features of Automated Tool
- Allows to import EML files to Outlook 365 easily.
- Able to Import EML files into Outlook along with the attachments.
- There are no file size limitations.
- Having several import options such as Retry Failed, Delta Import, and Full Migration.
- Also, generate the Summary report or the Detailed report after the completion of Importing files.
- It is compatible with the Windows 2012/ 2016 Server, and Windows 10/11(64-bit).
Steps to Import EML to Outlook 365
- Download and Run the tool. Select the File System as the Source and Office 365 as the Destination platform.
- Inside the workload section, you have several options. Choose the Email option and click on Next.
- Now, you are in the source tab, where you need to select the location of the Source file. Before choosing the file, make sure you have folder names as the email and inside that folder manage all subfolders of emails, contacts, and others individually.
- After selecting the location of the source file. Click on Validate and hit Next.
- Now, in the destination window, select the Admin Email and Application ID. Validate and Next.
- After saving all the source and destination details, you have to select the users from several options.
Fetch User: Automatically fetch all the users from the source.
Import Users: Users will import through the provided CSV.
Download Template: It downloads a template of a sample CSV file for creating the users.
- After fetching the users, click on the Start Import button to import EML files into Outlook.
- After a while, a notification pops up for successful importing.
The query of how to Import EML files into Outlook 365 is solved in this article. The different reasons for choosing Outlook 365 are also explained in a detailed manner. As such there is no manual method to import EML to Office 365. We have discussed the different ways that you can opt but because of their limitations, they are not suggested to use. The Professional Solution is also elaborated using the automated tool to help you for the importing of EML to Outlook 365 without any hassle.
Also Read: How to save Emails from Outlook Web to Computer?