How to Manage User Profiles in SharePoint Admin Center? The Complete Guide
Summary: SharePoint administrators manage user profiles in SharePoint admin center. Different steps are required to manage and create user profiles in SharePoint online. This includes creating, managing, and editing the user profiles and audiences. This whole process is performed by the Admin Center interface.
The SharePoint user profiles are used to store the details of all the employees in the organization. Through this, the site admin can see the relevant details and documents. The user profiles contain different information such as Name, Contact details, department, and many more. Microsoft 365 (SharePoint admin) can manage the user profiles via some steps.
Table Of Content
- Why Manage the User Profiles & Audiences in SharePoint
- How to Manage User Profiles in SharePoint Admin Center?
- How to Manage & Create Audience in SharePoint Online?
- Fetch SharePoint to Another Site without Losing any User
- Final Words
Why Manage the User Profiles & Audiences in SharePoint?
The user profiles depend on the individual roles and responsibilities. There are multiple reasons to manage the user profiles.
- The process of searching is easier if all of the employees have their profiles. The employees can be easily identified with the help of the information on the profile. It also helps to collaborate with others because of the profiles the team members can find the projects on which they are currently working.
- Admins can allow the permissions to access the required files as per their needs with the help of user profiles. If the member working on a project but not having permission to access the files of the project then the admin can see that from their profile and allow the permission.
- It is also helpful to find the status of the employee because the position and projects of the employees change regularly. So, if the user profiles are up to date then it is easy to track its current status.
- With the help of the user’s profiles, you can generate reports and analyze the performance of the employee to make decisions.
- You can also create the audience according to the user’s profiles.
How to Manage User Profiles in SharePoint Admin Center?
The SharePoint administrator has several rights to create and manage the user profiles in SharePoint. The admin can create, edit, or delete property. The admin also has permission to manage the audiences. To manage user profiles in SharePoint, you need to follow some steps sequentially.
Also Read: How to Create Group in SharePoint to track the status of the projects?
1. Add New User Profile Property in SharePoint Online: Step-By-Step
Step 1. Go to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ with the admin credentials.
Step 2. Now, Admin > Admin Center > SharePoint.
Step 3. Select the user profiles option from the left panel.
Step 4. Choose the option of Manage User Properties from the right panel under the People section.
Step 5. To create the new user profile property, Click on the button of New Property.
Step 6. A new pop will be opened, enter the required details such as
- Name – Name of the property.
- Display Name – a name that should be displayed to the users.
- Type – Select the datatype.
- Default User Profile Subtype – tick the checkbox, if not.
- Description – Provide the description in detail.
- Display settings – add the required settings.
After entering all the details click OK and the new user profile property is created.
2. Edit User Profile Property in SharePoint
If you want to edit the profile property of the user then it is achievable with the help of the manage user profiles option.
Step 1. Open SharePoint by logging in with the admin credentials.
Step 2. Select the option of User Profiles and then Manage User Profiles
Note: – Firstly, you should know which user profile you want to edit.
Step 3. In the new window, enter the name of the user for which you want to edit the property. and Click on Find.
Step 4. Now, there is a list of names that are matched with the input name. Select the name which you need.
Step 5. Now, left-click on the account and choose the option of editing my profile.
Step 6. On the next page, there are the properties that you can edit. Perform editing on the required property and Click on Save and Close.
How to Manage & Create Audience in SharePoint Online?
SharePoint audiences are a group of users that are based on a set of rules. Any user who satisfies the rules will become part of the audience. Here is the complete process to manage audiences SharePoint online.
Step 1. Go to the SharePoint Admin Center.
Step 2. Under the User profiles, click on the More features and Open.
Step 3. Hit on the Manage Audiences option under the People section.
Step 4. Now click on Create New Audience and add the required details such as Name, Description, Owner, Include users category, and OK.
Step 5. There is also an option to create a new audience rule. Select the operator and value for the rule and Click OK.
With the help of these steps, you can create audience in SharePoint online. To manage user profiles in SharePoint admin center you need to execute some of the easy steps explained above.
For some reason, Organization merges with another then you need to fetch all of the SharePoint data to the other site. But the question arises how do you fetch all of the data to the destination without losing any of the users or how to copy the document library from one site to another? Let’s solve this problem now.
Fetch SharePoint to Another Site without Losing any User
This is a common query of SharePoint admins to shift the current SharePoint site to another without affecting its property. You can use the efficient SharePoint Migration tool for the seamless SharePoint transfer to the destination. This tool is able to fetch the Document library and List without any hassle.
You can also use its Date filter to sort the relevant data from the complete data. If the users are creating and new data is added while running the process then you can use the option of Delta migration to fetch the newly arrived data at the destination. A complete report is also generated to keep track of all the steps that run during the process. You can also follow the SharePoint Online Migration checklist for the successful migration.
The SharePoint admins have the right to manage user profiles in SharePoint admin center. So, in this write-up, all the steps are explained to manage user profiles in the SharePoint admin center. The major issue created in front of the admins while the Organization merges with others is also solved by suggesting the SharePoint migration tool.