Migrate NSF to Office 365 – Export from Lotus Notes to O365
There is no doubt that Microsoft 365 is the most popular business productivity suite nowadays. It includes various collaboration tools and email services that offer remarkable emailing, maintaining an address book, scheduling meetings, etc. Moreover, it has an easy-to-access interface which makes it easy for users to manage all their data in the cloud. So, it’s no surprise that many people want to move from other systems, like Domino, to Office 365. Therefore, in this write-up, we are going to explain the step-by-step way to migrate NSF to Office 365 from Domino server.
But before getting into the solution, let’s discuss the reason behind this operation in detail.
Why Do Users Need to Import NSF to Office 365?
Users working on IBM Notes know that it contains the usual mailbox data like emails, contacts, calendar entries, Notes, journals, etc. But is it really worth it? The functionality and GUI of IBM Notes are less proficient compared to other email clients. Many clients are attracted to numerous, attractive and unique features in MS Office 365, which has led to migrate NSF to Office 365.
Additionally, migrating from Lotus Notes NSF to Office 365 can offer several benefits for organizations. Here are some of the noteworthy reasons to consider migrating:
- Modern Collaboration Tools – Office 365 has useful tools like Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive for Business, etc. This collaborative software helps teams and departments work together easily.
- Email and Calendar Integration – Office 365 offers a remarkable email and calendar system that is integrated into Outlook 365. It’s widely used and helps people work better and communicate.
- Accessibility – Office 365 is online, so you can use it from anywhere on the internet. This is great for remote work.
- Scalability – Office 365 can scale with your organization’s growth. If you need more users, services, or apps, you can upgrade its subscription according to your needs.
- Security and Compliance – Microsoft takes security and following rules seriously in Office 365. It keeps your data safe and helps you be compliance-ready.
- Reduced IT Overhead – Managing Lotus Notes can be hard and costly. Office 365 helps by letting Microsoft handle many IT tasks, so you have more resources for important things.
- Streamlined Administration – Office 365 has an easy-to-use admin console. It makes it simple to manage user accounts, licenses, and security settings.
- Integration with Other Microsoft Services – If your organization uses other Microsoft services like Azure, Dynamics 365, or Power BI, Office 365 can work together with them for a better experience.
Now, let’s discuss the quick and easy way to execute this task safely.
5 Simple Steps to Migrate NSF Files to Office 365?
- Step 1. Download, install, and run the software.
- Step 2. Choose Notes and Office 365 platforms.
- Step 3. Enable required mailbox workload and set filter.
- Step 4. Login and validate with Admin credentials.
- Step 5. Select user accounts and click on start migration.
How to Migrate NSF to Office 365 Using Manual Method?
Manual steps to migrate NSF to Office 365 may not be so helpful because this method can only be understood by Technical experts but we will try to keep all the points clear. The need for an IMAP connector in IBM Notes to export IBM Notes to O365 is a prerequisite. The following steps are mentioned below:
Step 1. Maintain backup of Lotus Notes NSF files
Having a backup of all the living mailboxes that are saved in NSF files should be a primary step to get rid of data loss. This process should be successfully taken before the migration process.
Step 2. Create a new Outbox
Once you have generated a backup and copy of data items, the next essential phase is to create a new mailbox for each user having an existing profile in the IBM Lotus Notes email client.
Step 3. Allow IMAP TCP/ IP Port for every user
The following steps are mentioned below:
- View Domino Administrator in Lotus Notes
- Then, click on the Tab of Configuration
- Open the Server document and after this run the IMAP service.
- Click Ports → Internet Ports → Mail tab
- Enable the IMAP TCP/IP Port
- Now, click on the ‘save’ option and then, exit
Step 4. Associate with IMAP connector
Using IMAP, a connector to synchronize email messages in Office 365 from Lotus Notes desktop email clients
Short Comings of Manual Method to Import NSF Files to Office 365
- When the Notes client is situated behind a firewall and proxy, it will be unable to establish an Internet connection.
- Disabling the Lotus Notes email client will prevent it from allowing an IMAP connection.
- If the IMAP Connector imposes limitations on calendar entry transfers, they must be carried out manually.
- Creating calendar entries manually consumes additional time and hampers the transfer process.
- Utilizing the IMAP protocol for migration exclusively transfers online data to Office 365.
- The IMAP Connector is capable of relocating emails up to a maximum size of 1 GB.
- This process entails the application of multiple filters, which can be both costly and intricate.
Migrate NSF Files to Office 365 Using a Professional Automated Tool
We know this method is not understandable to many users so do not worry we also have an automated solution that will help to migrate NSF to Office 365. One of the most reliable tools that will easily accomplish Lotus Domino to Office 365 migration is SysTools Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool. The functionality of this tool is so versatile that it allows you to migrate NSF to O365 without Office 365 Admin Account credentials. Moreover, it allows selective mailbox items migration, which makes it a lot easier to switch accounts.
Software Working Guide to Import NSF to Office 365 Safely
Step 1. First, download the tool from the link below and launch it on your machine.
Step 2. Navigate to the Setup tab to choose the Workload items for migrating NSF to Office 365. Select the Notes as source platform and Office 365 as the destination platform. Click on Next.
Step 3. In the Source tab, input the Admin Email, Lotus Notes Client Password and path of the NSF files. Then, click the Validate button.
Step 4. In the Destination tab, provide Office 365 Admin ID and Application ID (the application ID should be created in the Admin Center using the Project Creation Steps for reference).
Step 5. Head to User tab to select the option for mapping NSF and Office 365 user IDs.
Step 6. After the mapping process is finished, validate the user accounts and click the Start Migration button.
Step 7. Throughout the migration process, you can monitor live status. Once the process is complete, download the report and close the tool.
Also Read: How to Import EML to Outlook 365?
In this detailed article, we have covered the two ways to migrate NSF to Office 365 account. Using any of these methods, users can transfer all the NSF file data to a Microsoft O365 account. Furthermore, they can overcome all the limitations associated with the manual method by using the above-mentioned automated tool. As it ensures the data integrity and hierarchy throughout the process and it does not require any technical expertise to execute the complete task.