In this blog, we are going to discuss the step by step method to copy and move a document from one folder to another folder or one can say that from one document library to another document library in SharePoint online. Let us explore more about the sharing of the libraries or the SharePoint to SharePoint migration in detail.
A Document Library is a collection of files where a user can store and maintain the data in multiple folders. It also provides an option to share documents with the other team members. Basically, it is a place on a site where a user can create, collect and update files with others.
Methods to Copy or Move Items from SharePoint Online Document Library
Let us explore the manual methods in detail:
Method 1: Copy/Move the Items
- The first step is to open your SharePoint site
- Now, from the site contents open the document library
- In this step, you have to select the item from the document library that you want to copy or move
- Click on the (…) ellipse icon and then two options will appear one is ‘Copy to’ and other is ‘Move to’.
- Now, select the function according to your requirements.
- You have to choose the destination options that are Current Library or OneDrive
Note: The destination can be your current library or a different library from a different site within the tenant
- To copy the document you can also create a new folder inside the document library
- Here ‘Current Library’ is selected and a new folder is created
- After selecting the destination, you have to click on ‘Copy Here’ button
- Now, your document will be copied inside the folder successfully
Method 2: Using Office 365 to Copy
This option is only available if the user is having SharePoint Online under Office 365:
- First of all, make sure that you are not in ‘classic view’.
- Now, select the files you want to copy
- In the Menu, you will see ‘Copy to’ option
- Click on the ‘Copy to’ option
- Now, you have to select a destination where you want to copy the selected file
- You can copy your file to local file, folder, OneDrive or to another site
Method 3: Drag and Drop Option
Now, you can apply drag and drop method to move a file into a folder in SharePoint 2013 and Office 365 SharePoint Online. A user can also choose multiple files and drag them at once.
- A user cannot copy files between libraries
- One cannot drag and drop a folder
- Cloning a copy of a file in the same location is not possible
Method 4: Using File Send Option
Using the Send File option a user can copy one file from one location to another.
- First, you have to select a file you wish to copy
- Then click on the Send option and then select ‘Other location’ option
- Now, you have to add the complete path of the destination folder
- After this, click on the OK button
- Can be difficult for a user to find the exact path to the destination folder as there is no browsing option given.
- This option does not work when a user wants to copy/move a folder
Method 5: Using SharePoint Migrator
The user can choose SysTools SharePoint Migrator to copy or move files or folders from:
- On-Premises SharePoint to SharePoint Migration
- SharePoint to Office 365 / SharePoint Online Migration
- SharePoint Online / Office 365 to SharePoint Migration
- SharePoint Online to SharePoint Online Migration
Moreover, it provides mailbox mapping option to export and save data and also supports all the versions of SharePoint. It also eliminates all the shortcomings linked with the other methods explained above (Method 3 and Method 4). It is suggested to opt for SharePoint Organiser to copy or move files and folder in a hassle-free way.
With the help of the methods discussed above the user will be able to copy or move SharePoint Online Document Library. The user just has to follow the step by step method explained above. Still, if a user is facing any issue in copy or move process then he/she can switch to SharePoint Organiser which a reliable and user-friendly utility.