How to Split Outlook PST File Into Smaller Parts Step by Step?
Overview: Here, we will discuss all possible solutions to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts to accomplish this task without losing data.
If you have been using Microsoft Outlook for a long time, there are chances that your Outlook PST file size would increase with time. If the PST file size has increased too much, you may face performance issues while working with Microsoft Outlook. Outlook application starts working abnormally, and there may be chances of sudden shutdown of email application or you may find it lagging. Furthermore, PST files are prone to corruption and any damage to those files can lead to loss of entire mailbox data.
This is the reason why it is advised to keep mailbox data stored in multiple PST files. To achieve this, you must know how to split large PST file into smaller parts. This will reduce the chances of losing all the data in the mailbox and minimize the damage in case the PST file gets corrupted due to any reason. So, to read this article and know the best tips and tricks.
Table of Content
Brief Overview of PST File
Basically, a PST file i.e. Personal Storage Table is a central repository of Outlook elements which includes emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, notes, journals, etc. There are two types of PST files i.e. ANSI and Unicode files. The ANSI PST file has a predefined storage limit of 2 GB and it is supported by Outlook 2002 and earlier versions of it.
On the other side, Unicode PST file has remarkably increased storage capacity and it is supported by Outlook 2003 and later versions of it.
After knowing about Outlook files, let us now discuss the methods for splitting them.
How to Split Outlook PST File Into Smaller Parts Manually?
Manual Method 1- Archive Large PST File
Archiving old Outlook PST files not only helps in reducing mailbox size but also split large PST files into smaller segments. The steps to archive an Outlook mailbox are mentioned in the following section:
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013.
- Choose the PST file which you need to split.
- Click on the File tab and select Info > Select Cleanup Tools.
- Choose Archive tab from the available options.
- After that, a dialog box will appear, press the “Archive this folder and all subfolders” option.
- Now choose a folder from the list.
- Next, the option Archive items older than will pop-up. Choose proper dates from to split PST files into smaller parts.
- Click Browse to select the destination location of the new file.
- Then, repeat the same process to create more files as per the requirements.
Note: The default name of the resultant file is Archive PST. After providing the storage location, click the OK button.
Manual Method 2 – Use Import and Export Option to Break Data
You can split Outlook PST file into smaller parts using the in-built Import and Export feature. So, to know how to complete this manual task, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Run the Microsoft Outlook on your local system.
- Create a new Outlook file.
- From the Inbox, select New Items >> More Items >> Outlook Data File. A window will open, here provide the storage location for the resultant file, tap OK.
- You can now access the newly created Outlook PST file in the application window.
- Now, run the application again, click the File tab >> Open & Export >> Import/Export to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts.
- A window will appear, tap on the Export to a file option from the list and click Next.
- Press the Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- After that, select the folder that you need to export data from and select Next.
- Now, click the Browse button to choose the folder as required.
- Open Outlook Data Files window will appear. Choose the file to which you want to export data and click OK.
- Now, choose a proper option from the given alternates and click on Finish.
How to Split Large PST Files Into Smaller Parts Effortlessly?
The manual methods discussed in the above section help the user to break large sized Outlook PST file into smaller parts. But for novice users these processes may appear as a challenge. Another downside of implementing these steps is that these processes are also very time consuming.
Hence, it is always suggested to use an automated solution such as SysTools Split PST Tool which is designed specially to break big PST files into smaller segments.
List of Advantages of Using This Tool
This tool serves you with various advantages as compared to manual solutions for this task. The additional functionalities offered by the tool prove to be useful, such as-
- The tool can split a file on the basis of multiple parameters like size, date, year, folder, category, email ID etc.
- A simple user interface ensures that the user does not face any difficulty in understanding and following the process to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts.
- Furthermore, here you will get the option to choose the desired size of the resultant file PST file between 1 MB and 1 TB.
- This tool supports for both ANSI and Unicode PST file formats.
- Similarly, while using this tool, you can add files to the tool one at a time or import an entire folder at once.
How to Split Outlook PST file into Smaller Parts? Tool Guide
For this task, just download the software on updated version of Windows OS machine. Then, use this easy-to-follow procedure to split the Outlook data file into smaller segments.
- Install and run the tool on desktop in the first step.
- Use the Add File(s)/Add Folder button to import the data files into the software.
- Users can choose any option to split the file by Size, Date, Category, Year, or many more.
- Also, provide the desired split value for PST file segmentation.
- Next, check the summary of the provided information and click Next.
- The tool will start the process of exporting the PST file(s) as instructed by you.
After reading this article, you now know how to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts using multiple methods. Therefore, you can choose the desired solution that best suits your needs. However, manual methods have some limitations such as it is time consuming as well as requires some technical expertise. So, in this case, it is better to switch to the above-mentioned professional apps to make the whole process hassle-free.
Common Asked Queries
Q- How do I split large PST file into smaller parts by year?
- For a quick way, download the software on PC.
- Then, either Add File / Add Folder / Search File as required.
- Select the required folders and mark the Select by year option.
- View the summary report before proceeding.
- Finally, click on the Split option to start the process.
Q- Can I use this software without Outlook application?
Answer- Yes, definitely, you can easily download and run the software to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts without installing Microsoft Outlook application.
Q- What happens when I go to split a PST file into multiple parts?
Answer- Splitting Outlook data files reclaims space that is unavailable because it was previously occupied by a larger file. This can greatly reduce the chances of your PST file getting corrupted on your hard drive, and helps Microsoft Outlook to function smoothly.
Q- Is there any downside of large Outlook PST file?
Answer- Practically, PST files take up a huge amount of storage space on your hard drive. By the time the file size increases it becomes quite difficult to organize it efficiently on the local computer. So, it is better to split them into smaller parts and prevent any chances of data loss.