Learn to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 With Top Solutions
Overview: How to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365? This article discusses all aspects of this migration process including the benefits of Office 365 over Lotus Notes and the best method to complete the task.
Microsoft Office 365 has proven to be a superior business productivity solution in every sense. The convenience offered by this service is too beneficial to be overlooked now. This is why Office 365 has become the most prominent choice for organizations switching from other email clients and productivity solutions. One of those email clients is Lotus Notes.
Why Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365?
Office 365 stands above Lotus Notes because of the lost list of attractive features it offers. Office 365 offers a plethora of result-oriented features in a simplified user interface.
Lotus Notes offers impeccable security but, the user interface is highly complex and not at all easy to use. On the other hand, Office 365 offers a user-friendly and intuitive interface with other useful features.
If the organization decides to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365, it would further save maintenance and infrastructure cost. The subscription plans offered by O365 are highly scalable and suitable for small as well as large businesses which makes it an ideal choice for businesses of every size.
Solutions For How to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365
Here, we include the best two approaches for performing this migration. One is a complex and time-consuming manual approach and the other is an automated professional approach to simplify the migration process.
Solution 1: The Automated Approach to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365
As mentioned above, the manual solution to this migration problem is unnecessarily long and complex. To avoid this, we suggest using the SysTools Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Software. This software offers unmatched functionality and makes the migration process incredibly easy.
Let’s discuss some features of this tool.
- Supports the migration of all mailbox items like emails, contacts, calendar data, etc.
- Priority setting is available to set an order to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- Provides support for migrating multiple Lotus Notes mailboxes to Office 365.
- Offers additional security by requiring admin credentials for both source and destination for the migration process.
- For selective data migration, users can opt for the date range and category filters.
- Includes a fail-safe to resume the migration process in case of any connection loss or any adversity when the user has to migrate NSF to Office 365.
- Different options for repeating the migration process like Re-Run Migration, Retry Failed Items, and Delta Migration.
- Offers the options for concurrent migration.
- Multiple options for source and destination user account mapping.
Steps to Follow to Migrate From Lotus Notes to Office 365
- Firstly open the tool and set the Source and Destination as Lotus Notes and Office 365 respectively.
- Now, select the workload from the given categories of data items(Email, Calendar, and Contacts) and apply the date filter as required.
- Provide the Admin Email, Password, and folder path for the NSF file stored in your system and Validate the permissions to migrate NSF to Office 365.
- Then, provide the credentials for the Destination accounts as well.
- Map the user accounts by selecting the desired option.
- To begin the process, click Start Migration.
- The software provides a Detailed and Summary report of the migration process.
Solution 2: How to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 Using IMAP?
In this method, the IMAP connector is used to perform the migration. This is an intricate procedure and takes a lot of time.
Step 1: Backup the Lotus Notes Mailbox Data as NSF File
This step is optional. The user is advised to save the mailbox data as an NSF file. This will act as a backup of the data in case the migration process goes wrong and there is a loss of data. This acts as a fail-safe when the user is using IMAP to migrate NSF to Office 365.
Step 2: Provide New User Accounts In Office 365
Now, create new mailbox accounts in Office 365 for the user accounts that have to be migrated.
Step 3: Turn on the IMAP/IP Port to Migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365
Follow the below steps:
- Open Domino Administrator and switch to the Configuration tab.
- Now, find the server that runs the IMAP service and open the Server Document for that server to migrate NSF to Office 365.
- Find the Ports tab>> Internet Ports>> Mail tab.
- In the Mail column, mark the status as enabled for TCP/IP Port Value Status. Finally press Save.
Step 4: Sync the Emails With IMAP Connector
Now, use the IMAP connector to synchronize emails between Office 365 and Lotus Notes.
Drawbacks of Using IMAP Connector to Migrate From Lotus Notes to Office 365
Unlike the professional tool mentioned above, this process is not without its limitations.
- There is a limitation on the size of the NSF file size that can be exported. The maximum NSF file size that can be exported is 1 GB.
- The firewall can sometimes prevent the Lotus Notes client from connecting to the internet which will prevent the user from migrating NSF to Office 365.
- The user cannot migrate the Calendar data using the IMAP connector. The user will have to migrate the calendar entries separately which would make the process extremely lengthy.
- The process itself is highly technical and requires the user to be technologically literate.
In this article, we established that Office 365 is a superior service to Lotus Notes. Also, we discussed two methods to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365. Clearly, the automated solutions offer more functions than the manual approach. It is a foolproof solution for the purpose of migrating Lotus Notes mailbox data.