Difference Between OneDrive And OneDrive For Business? Explained in Detail
Summary: In the article, you will find a complete explanation of the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Here, both are explained in a detailed manner. After reading this article you can choose the right OneDrive for your use.
Microsoft provides different solutions that help Organizations to manage their regular tasks. One of the main solutions is Office 365 which consists of different apps to reduce the user’s workload. OneDrive is also part of Office 365. There are multiple benefits of Microsoft 365 to handle your data easily. One of them is OneDrive which is cloud-based and used to store documents. It is used for personal use and Business uses as well. Let’s take a look at OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.
OneDrive: It is a cloud-based platform, used to store personal data such as audio, video, spreadsheets, documents, and some other types of data as well. OneDrive is used freely and data is shared with others. It is helpful to manage the data in collaboration.
OneDrive For Business: This is heavily used for Business purposes. It is a part of the Office 365 subscription plan. Through this, professionals manage their data to store the official information. Using OneDrive, different professionals can contribute. This makes the tracking of reports easy.
Table Of Content
- Difference Between OneDrive and OneDrive Business
- Advantages Of OneDrive
- Advantages Of OneDrive For Business
- Which is Better OneDrive Personal and OneDrive Business?
- Why Do Migration in Microsoft OneDrive and OneDrive for Business?
- How to Move Data Within OneDrive For Business Efficiently?
- How to Move From Google Drive Platform to OneDrive for Business?
Difference Between OneDrive and OneDrive Business
There is a comparison of the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business in a tabular form on the basis of features. Now, you can get an idea about both in a simpler way.
|Features||OneDrive||OneDrive for Business|
|Storing capacity||5 GB||1 TB per user.|
|Ownership||It is owned by the individual||Owned by the Organization.|
|Create and Edit options||Enabled||Enabled|
|Accessible||Phone, PC’s||Phone, PC’s|
|Type of Data Store||Audio, video, personal data||Not for personal data.|
|Auditing and Reporting||Not use||Heavily used|
|Versioning management||No versions management||Versions managed|
|Direct sync support||Not Possible||Possible|
Difference Between OneDrive and OneDrive For Business on the Basis of Storage and Pricing Plans
Microsoft OneDrive has different plans. Its plans start with 5 GB of storage. As it is part of Office 365, then it follows the subscription model for the payment. Each plan has its own storage capacity and pricing. There are different plans as per their features. Let’s have a look at the plans to know the difference between OneDrive personal and OneDrive Business.
|OneDrive||Microsoft 365 Personal
Microsoft 365 Family
Microsoft 365 Business Basic
6 TB ( 1 TB per user )
1 TB per user
|$ 6.99/ month
$ 9.99/ month
$ 6.00/ month
|OneDrive For Business||Microsoft 365 Business Standard
Microsoft 365 Business Premium
|1 TB per user
1 TB per user
|$ 12.50/ month
$ 22.00/ month
Also Read: The Difference Between Microsoft 365 E3 and E5 in detail.
Advantages Of OneDrive
There are multiple advantages of OneDrive. It is free to use. You can use it to store all of your personal data such as audio, video, images, and other data as well. It provides complete security to the data. You can share the files with others and also restrict the permissions that you want to protect your data such as opening, editing, printing, and so on. Let’s see some more advantages. These advantages will help you out the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.
- Unlimited file saving and access up to 5 GB.
- Retrieve files globally.
- Support multiple devices.
- Data can be shared easily.
- Customize the User Interface.
- Easily save the multimedia files.
- Provides a higher level of security.
Advantages Of OneDrive For Business
OneDrive For Business provides a seamless flow to enterprise work. Here more space is provided for data storage. This is only used for the official data. Basically, it is based on subscription plans. You can pick the suitable Business plan, either Basic or Premium to use its services. Each plan has its own special features. You can choose any plan as per the requirement. The plans can also be upgraded to the new one if required. It has more advantages. These advantages will guide you to the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.
- You can also use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Users can set the password while sharing the files.
- Multiple users can get rights for the editing of documents.
- It can also interact with Exchange email accounts.
- OneDrive for Business can work with SharePoint.
- Users can also interact with each other using Microsft Teams.
Which is Better OneDrive Personal and OneDrive Business?
File sharing is possible with both of the cloud solutions. You can restrict the permissions on the files while sharing with others. OneDrive also has features for opening, downloading, and editing permissions for destination users. But OneDrive for Business provides some additional features to track the logs. These logs specify the activities of the destination user.
Actually, while working with the OneDrive to access your files. You can use OneDrive to download and update the files. These files are synchronized, when you update the changes to the files locally, they are updated on OneDrive too. If the files get deleted from the local drive, then they are also deleted from OneDrive.
But in the case of OneDrive for Business, it is used to collaborate with other team members. There are regular updates on the files by the team members. However, you also have the option to download the cloud version file only. This is also a major difference between OneDrive personal and OneDrive Business.
OneDrive for Business comes with many other applications as well as part of Office 365. You can also access, Exchange, and SharePoint as some basic applications also. All these advanced applications play a significant role in the organization. Teams are widely used for meetings, employees can join the meeting from their homes or anywhere. The exchange server helps maintain its own server for better security. SharePoint is also there for managing the tasks. Due to these advanced applications, the team can work in collaboration. That helps to keep track of the regular achievements of the team.
It completely depends on the requirement. You can evaluate features, plans, and pricing to calculate the difference between OneDrive and Microsoft OneDrive.
Why Do Migration in Microsoft OneDrive and OneDrive for Business?
There can be different scenarios to migrate from OneDrive to another OneDrive. Let’s elaborate on some major reasons.
- Merger/Acquisition – When the organizations merge with each other, they need to merge all of the data into one OneDrive Account.
- Upgrade the Plan – When the Organization starts its expansion. At that time they hired some new employees to improve their productivity. To manage their accounts, organizations need to upgrade their plans and migrate their whole data to the new OneDrive.
- Reducing Expenses – Sometimes there is a case when multiple employees leave the organization. However, the data should be maintain for a period of time. Then the organizations decided to choose a small plan and migrate the data into a single account to cut expenses.
- Rebranding – When any organization rebrands itself, then it creates a new Office 365 account based on the new name. The whole data needs to be transferred from the previous account to another account.
How to Move Data Within OneDrive For Business Efficiently?
After analyzing the requirements, you can imagine how much the data is important. Data should be migrated properly from OneDrive to OneDrive without any loss. You can migrate the OneDrive to OneDrive by using the OneDrive for Business Migration Tool. This tool is recommended by experts for performing migration without any error. It has some advanced features that can migrate the OneDrive data easily. It has some advanced features that make the migration easier.
- Migrate multiple Accounts Simultaneously
- Able to perform Personal to personal and Personal Business Migration.
- Use the Date Filter to filter out the data.
- Generate the complete report after the migration.
- Compatible with the Windows 10 and 11 versions.
How to Move From Google Drive Platform to OneDrive for Business?
If you are using Google Drive but want to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive then you can go with the Google Drive to OneDrive Migration tool. It is widely used to perform migration from Google Drive to OneDrive efficiently. Therefore, you can easily migrate the data without any data loss. This tool has some useful features that make migration possible. It has several advanced features for migration.
- Able to export all items such as files, photos, PDFs, etc.
- Having Read, Write, and Comment permissions.
- Migrate the Password Protected Files or Documents.
- Provides Date Filters for the filtering of data.
- The resulting data is properly manage.
In this write-up, we get a complete idea about the difference between OneDrive and OneDrive for Business. Also, have evaluated both platforms. However, you can choose the right one as per your needs. You can check the plans and pricing for both of the OneDrive. Eventually, we have discussed step-by-step software to perform data migration in these cloud storage solutions. Moreover, as per the requirement, you can choose the tool to get the expected results.