Different Types of SharePoint Sites to Organize Information
Summary: Nowadays Organizations create different types of SharePoint sites to store and manage information in an efficient manner. Basically, there are different types of sites supported in SharePoint to perform regular tasks. All these sites are explained in detail.
SharePoint is known for its sites and subsites feature among the organization. It is a part of the Office 365 subscription plan. To provide the information, assign tasks, make announcements and for many more purposes SharePoint is used. It is not limited to creating a single type of site. You can use it to create different types of sites and subsites. Let’s explore the reason why you should create the sites in SharePoint.
Table Of Content
- Why Create Sites in SharePoint?
- What to do Before Creating Sites in SharePoint?
- Different Types of SharePoint Sites
- How to Relocate the Source SharePoint to the Destination SharePoint?
Why Create Sites in SharePoint?
There are multiple reasons to create the different types of SharePoint sites. Here are some of the major reasons.
- Easy Sharing – SharePoint allows you to add team members to access the site content. You can add the required team members and share the content with the members that you want to share using the document library in SharePoint.
- Enhance Collaboration – With the help of SharePoint, you can enhance the collaboration of the team members. You can share the regular tasks with the deadlines so that members are also aware of the deadlines. You can set a calendar for the meetings.
- Manage Documents – SharePoint is also known for its document-storing feature. Most of the Organizations used SharePoint as the document storage related to the Organizations in the Document library through which it is easy to track the version of the documents.
- Intranet and Extranet Sites – SharePoint is not only used to share information among the team members. It is used to create the sites for the team members as well as for the external partners. You can set up both intranet and extranet sites in SharePoint.
- Easy Integration – SharePoint integrates with OneDrive, Teams, Power BI, and other Office 365 applications to share the content with others.
- Support Remote Work – SharePoint sites can be accessed through any location with the help of the Internet. Due to this, the team members can work remotely.
- Scalable – SharePoint sites are scalable and can be used for any size of organization. The users in the SharePoint sites can be added or removed as per the requirement.
What to do Before Creating Sites in SharePoint?
Some of the points you should keep in mind before creating different types of SharePoint sites.
- Purpose of Site – Before creating a site in SharePoint you should find what is the purpose of creating the site. What are the gaps it will fill? Is this used for the collaboration? Or just to share the information.
- Find the Audience of the Site – You need to find the audience of the site. Is it used for the customers, partners, or team members?
- Identify the Features – After selecting the audience for the site. Then find the required features on the site such as tasks, lists, news, discussion boards, images, and many more.
- Setup the Budget – After finalizing all the required details of the site. It’s time to make the budget and set up the features according to the budget.
Different Types of SharePoint Sites
As per the requirement, the organizations can create distinct type of site in SharePoint to store and manage their information. You can also enable subsite creation for all site in SharePoint.
1. Modern Team Site (Connected to Office 365 Group)
The modern team site is used to add the team members for the collaboration of files. In this type of site in SharePoint, the lists, information, and updates are shared with the team members. In this, all the members are connected to a single group which includes
- Conversation – A shared mailbox for the team conversation and calendar in Outlook.
- Documents – Shared file storage in SharePoint Online.
- Notebooks – A shared OneNote notebook is included.
- Chat – For the real-time chats, the Microsoft Teams is used.
You can also connect the site’s group to the different apps of Office 365 such as Task management tool planner. You can create group in SharePoint either in public or private mode, and it is identified by the text underneath the site name.
“ The modern team site connected to a group is mostly used for small team members”.
The Modern team site can be implemented without group but used the same template as the Modern team site connected to a group. This site is not connected to the group.
“ When working on business solutions, huge groups of people or organizational departments can benefit greatly from the modern team site that is not affiliated with any group.“
2. SharePoint Communication Site
This type of site in SharePoint is not used for collaboration. These sites are just one way and are used to share information among the employees. These sites are mostly used for intranet purposes, landing pages, particular department sites, and company news update sites.
Communication sites are not connected to Outlook/Teams/Planner. It has three different templates Topic site (for events and news), Showcase( to show the images of the events), and blank(to create customized applications).
3. Classic Team Sites
In the continuity of different types of SharePoint sites, the Classic Team sites were used in SharePoint earlier to create the sites for the blogs, wiki pages, and web parts. Classic team sites require more customization and do not have the new features to make collaboration easier.
The classic team sites are deprecated, so If you stick to the classic Team sites, then you need to upgrade to the modern team site to get the benefit of the rich features of a modern team site.
Some Other Types of Sites in SharePoint
- Document Center site – It is used to store thousands of documents such as Word, PDF, and photos.
- Enterprise Wiki site – These are used to share a large volume of information.
- Phishing Portal site – It is a type of classic site used for authorizing and publishing content for a large volume of people.
- Developer site – The developer site used to develop and deploy an app for the organization.
- Project site – Project sites for track and assigning project-related tasks.
- Community site – Community sites are prepared to share ideas.
- eDiscovery center – It manages the preservation of content and export to the SharePoint farm.
- Record center – Manages and stores the records.
- BI center – It is used for data analysis activities such as dashboards, and reports.
- Enterprise search center – Here users search their queries and results pages.
Have you ever thought about what will be the solution if your organization is going to merge with another organization or rebrand itself? Basically, at that point in time, the whole SharePoint data needs to be relocated to the new SharePoint. But, you do not need to worry about the issue. Here is a solution through which you can relocate the data to the destination SharePoint.
How to Relocate the Source SharePoint to the Destination SharePoint?
You can use the expert-recommended SharePoint Migration tool to relocate the data of different types of SharePoint sites to the destination SharePoint. This tool supports the relocation process in the batches to save time and effort with any type of site in SharePoint. All the folders are relocated to the destination without interrupting the folder structure and copy document library from one site to another.
There is a date-based filter to filter out the required data only. While the tool is running for the relocation, some of the data can be arrived at that point in time. So, you can use the Delta option to relocate the newly arrived data. Not miss any step of the process you should use the SharePoint Online migration checklist. The complete report is generated to track the whole process of relocation.
SharePoint supports different types of SharePoint sites which creates confusion for the users when to choose what. Through this article, all the distinct types of SharePoint sites are explored in a detailed manner. One expert-recommended tool is also suggested to use in case of SharePoint relocation. Hence the query is resolved.